Saturday, January 3, 2009

Za'tar Spiced Sea Bass, Tomato Dill Sauce, Cauli & Quinoa





I was about to embark on working with Middle Eastern Spices for a project and when researching I looked at http://playingwithfireandwater.com/ and Linda was using Ras el Hanout for Christmas, bit of a coincedence thats another spice I am using with a dish of harissa rolled beef carpaccio, apricot & goji berry.

Back to the Sea Bass though, the fillet is dusted lightly with semolina and Za'atar and pan fried until crisp. I love the light fragrant taste, if you have used Sumac you will know what I mean, zesty citrus flavours, well Za'atar (zaatar) is a mixture of sumac, sesame seed and herbs frequently used in the Middle East and Mediterranean.

I paired the Sea Bass with a nice and light riceless Caulifower and Quinoa Risotto, which I have made before but had found it missing something, I love the way the fish eats with the delicate nutty flavours of Quinoa and making the risotto out of the cauliflower as the rice grains.

On reading and researching fish is cooked in Saudi and surrounding areas with a dill tomato sauce, I made a harissa, tomato and dill puree and served it cold with a confit tomato, the whole thing finished with a Kebseh foam, Kebseh is a lebanese black pepper based spice used for Kebabs and shawarmas.

A touch of Olive Powder provides that little saltiness and coriander as used all the time throughout Arabic cooking.

No comments: